Monday, October 3, 2011

The Wonder of Your love by Beth Wiseman

Katie Ann meets an Amish man named Eli who is visiting Canaan for a family event. Eli is a widower who has just seen the last of his kinner marry and move out of the "haus." Now he plans to travel and experience the freedom that a man raising 6 children on his own could never have. Meeting Katie Ann puts a slight crimp in those plans and he wonders if the Lord might not have a different plan in store for him?
Katie Ann and Eli struggle to maintain their relationship as "best friends" but both must come to face the fact that they care for each other much more than just friends do, and make some difficult decisions about where to go from there.
Side stories pop up in the book, including Lucy's, Mrs. Dash's, and Danielle's. (I'm hoping to see her next Land of Canaan book focus on Danielle) My only complaint about this book is that I felt there should have been a little more information on Lucy and her outcome, and Mrs. Dash as well. We never get to hear how things turn out for either of these new mothers. While it's tempting to hate Lucy for what happened with Ivan, you have to realize that she, too, is a victim of Ivan's wandering and irresponsible ways.
Kudos to Beth Wiseman for creating a vivid and engaging community of Amish people that, unlike many other author's Amish characters, are flawed and real. I love Amish fiction, but I lose interest quickly when the author creates a "too perfect to be real" plastic Amish community. Beth's Amish people are faithful and good, yet they struggle to do the right thing and deal with painful life events, just like the rest of us!
I received this book in e-book format free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255|

No comments:

Post a Comment